468x60 Ads

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Old Buenaventura Mission


The first mission I visited was San Juan Capistrano, and that was over three weeks ago. It had never come across to my mind that coming over to this place has a profound history about Catholicism and I always thought this was just one of the tourist attractions that the state can offer, although it was, but "missions" and according to my friend Malou, San Juan Capistrano was just one of the 21 missions found in California. In my researches, these are the architectural monuments of the historical reminders of the great Franciscan adventures. Founded by the Spanish padres, most of the missions still stand up to these days, sources of wonders and beauty originally a day's ride on horseback apart, along 600  miles of California's beautiful coastline.

The Church


I won't enumerate all the missions that I have researches but I will share my experiences as I visited some of these missions unexpectedly.

The second mission I visited June 2 was the San Buenaventura Mission which is found in Ventura, about 2-hour drive from Anaheim. I was brought by Malou who visited 5 missions already.

In the street lies the San Buenaventura Church. It is said that the mission was founded in 1782 by Padre Junipero Serra.

Inside the small church

 We took time to go inside the church for the mass that was about to end.

The gift shop leading to the museum

We went inside the gift shop first to pay the entrance fee for the museum. Inside the museum are some of the mass items,  displays of Chumash Indian artifacts and mission-era items.

Inside the gift shop Malou looking for some gift items

Mass Items

Some mission-era items


Inside the small museum

There is an exit door going to the garden and when outside you can notice the Olive Press in San Buenaventura courtyard, the image of the Blessed Virgin and St. Jude.

The Olive Press




St. Jude Altar

The Courtyard around the mission



Then after the visit in the mission we went to Cafe Nouveau for lunch.

Thanks to Malou and friends who brought me to this mission.

Links about California Missions:
http://www.mtycounty.com/pgs-missions/the21missions.html
http://www.sanbuenaventuramission.org/history

Sameera Chathuranga


1 Responses So Far:

CANDICE SUMANDRINO said...

Nice share John! Looking forward to more of your writes & photos!

Great job!