468x60 Ads

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Higantes Festival In Angono

Two attempts were made missing the festivity in the last two years since I learned about the Higantes Festival in Angono, Rizal. I live in Cainta, a twenty minute jeepney ride going to the municipality but never I have come across to witness this festivity. Angono is considered as the Arts Capital in the Philippines and is the hometown of two national artists. Lucio San Pedro for music and Carlos Francisco for arts.

December 2011 visit with friend Judith

In the last week of December 2011, a friend of mine dropped by in the town proper of Angono after spending our time from Morong, Rizal where we took several photos in the rice field. We took photos in the municipality, chatted and had coffee in one of their famous restaurants serving a unique delicacy.


Yesterday, I took time going to the Higantes Festival where I witnessed the parade of the Higantes. It is said that the body of Higante is made of bamboo and colorful cloth which the parade of the giants is the main highlight during the fiesta celebration. Higantes are also made of paper mache and measures ten to twelve feet in height. According toe the wikepedia, the Higantes was influenced by the Mexican arts form paper-mache brought by the Spanish priests to the Philippines.


After a few minutes walk in the main high way, I reached the town when the Higantes Parade just started. I took some photos of the people who took part in the parade where the residents threw them water as part of the fiesta celebration. I was careful not being wet by the water they throw to the by passers. Since I was there at noon time, It was sunny and the hotness led me to go home as early as possible. Well the heat of the sun was so enervating and I could not stay any longer in the place so I decided to back home.
Participants of Higantes 2012


Sameera Chathuranga


0 Responses So Far: