468x60 Ads

Monday, April 24, 2017

Revisiting Liliw, Laguna

I have been looking for a cheap getaway online and I have been eyeing Sta Cruz and Liliw, Laguna for the past few weeks.  I remember, the last time that I was in Liliw was almost 20 years ago,and  it was my friend Benjie who took me to this spot and I can still recall that we ate at the carinderia which Sta. Cruz  has to offer a famous Binalot -A rice, a viand of adobo or fish and a red egg wrapped in banana leaf.  That was before we proceeded to Liliw, Laguna.  I can’t remember all the details since the stint was just short for us to stay in both towns.  But one thing I couldn’t forget was the red church in Liliw, The St. John the Baptist church.

Front view of St. John the Baptist Church





Few days ago I read about the Tsinelas Festival and saw some photos where colorful umbrellas were hang-stringed on the posts which made me more attracted to visit Liliw.
Yesterday, April 23, 2017 was a perfect day to go to Sta Cruz knowing that Sunday is the only day without traffic and I left home around 8 in the morning.  There are buses along Edsa in Ortigas going to Sta. Cruz.  It was a two and a half ride to this town and from there, and approximately 30 minutes to Liliw via jeepney ride.

Umbrellas and footwear stringed atop for Tsinelas Festival

On the side where tsinelas boutique can be found


Liliw was a laid back town, and if you want a quiet and a relaxing place, I think this town is simply perfect and beautiful.

I walk at the streets and surprisingly and I saw a lot of visitors having some photo opt including some bike riders, there were also some people which they wore the same shirt designs which indicate they are indeed in one group.  I saw some posters that Tsinelas Festival starts April 26.

Hanged footwears as part of the festivity

White House Restaurant




One thing I noticed is the vendor selling fruits on a bike and I met Mang Romeo who sells a wild berry it is called Liputi or Lipote.  I tasted both the fruit and the wine and that was really an experience to reckon in this place.  In some corner were vendors selling some pasalubong and I happened to buy a binuro na santol.

Liputi or Lipote Wildberry

Me testing the lipote wine

Romeo the fruit vendor

Lipote Wine

Binuro na Satol


But along the streets were some boutiques which they sell slippers or “tsinelas” and footwear and this was the place that was famous of.

And who can forget the red church, St. John the Baptist which is the landmark of Liliw.  So I took some photos of the church outside but I couldn’t go inside because there was a funeral mass service.
Liliw is situated at the foot of Mt. Banahaw and it is one of the highland town forming the southern extremity of the province.




Well as for my experience, Liliw is one of the places that is worth visiting for when you love the road trip and my travel one so timely since we are celebrating the “Earth Day.” It remains unspoiled, unpolluted and very simple living.  It is closed to Nagcarlan, and it’s just 2 kilometers away travel distance.



I will definitely come back in this place and would recommend to my friends about its serenity,  and the simplicity of this town.




Sameera Chathuranga


2 Responses So Far:

Ate Mench said...

Awe-inspiring trip in Liliw, Laguna. I wish you more travel blogs.

john said...

Thank you Ate Mench for reading my blog. Regards and take care always.

John