468x60 Ads

Monday, May 16, 2011

Pahiyas Festival in Lucban, Quezon


Pahiyas Festival is a colorful feast in Lucban, Quezon celebrated every 15th of May in honor of San Isidro Labrador. A must-see festival which highlights procession of the image of San Isidro Labrador and features a parade of papier mâché figures of a farmer and his wife. All the houses are decorated with agricultural harvest like vegetables, fruits, flowers, ferns and rice stalks. This is to ensure bountiful harvest in the coming season.

The long queue of traffic with all the vehicles stretching the main road had made me impatient that I decided to get off from the jeepney ride and walk a mile to reach the town. Most people were walking to and fro so I've figured out these are visitors who are about to see the town fiesta and some are about to leave the place after witnessing the colorful feast . Different vendors have narrowed the streets as some are selling hats, necklace, key chains, foods and souvenir items. I arrived Lucban 5p.m. a 45-minute travel time from Lucena. As the town is filled with tourists, most of the restaurants are full-packed making me hard to find a restaurant that I could easily get an order. My intention was to eat pancit hab-hab, one of their delicacy the town is famous of aside from longganiza de Lucban, so I found one that isn't crowded.

I saw a lot of visitors carrying their cameras, but I tried to compare mine, which is a digital camera but not expensive as what they have. So that made me crave more to buy a high-end one. A photo enthusiast like me has a desire to acquire a camera which has more fully functional features so I could take advantage of its benefits.

When I began to explore the streets, I saw a colorful flake-like food sold by the vendor. They said it is called "kiping" a rice wafer. I bought one for 10 pesos and it tasted like a flake. You can also see some folks dancing and singing in one of the streets and its like a local Mardi Gras of New Orleans, Louisiana.

By 7:15p.m. I was about to leave the place as I went to the long line piled up with people waiting for a shuttle going to Lucena.

By past 12 midnight, I've reached Edsa Central and I took a cab to home.

Pahiyas Festival is a one of a kind fiesta that one should take into consideration if your interest is to explore some of the best festivities in the Philippines.

Sameera Chathuranga


0 Responses So Far: